Friday 17 December 2010

Christmas Spirit??

Christmas really started for me yesterday evening when I attended the Carol Concert for the National Hospital Development Foundation, NHDF, at St. George's Church, Queen Square, London.

It was a beautiful scene with snow falling which certainly put me in the mood. The NHDF is the fund raising charity for the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery and I have looked to support it because of the debt I owe the hospital as a patient and have raised funds over several years.

I was really pleased because the NHDF asked me to do a reading at the concert. Although I'm used to public speaking this was different and especially as the other readers were professional and well known actors. Nonetheless I caught my breath and read 'A Small Dry Voice' from 'Memories of Christmas' by Dylan Thomas. It was great fun and if you haven't read it yourself then I can recommend it as a starter for this festive season.

Then back to the harsh world of today and in my trading standards capacity I have been reminded of the crooks, scoundrels and cheats who use Christmas to fleece, scam and rob the vulnerable.

Loan sharks preying on those they know can't afford to buy presents for their loved ones. Counterfeiters passing off fakes as the real thing to unwary consumers. So at the festive time of year spare a thought for those that know nothing of the Christmas spirit and look only to crooked gain at the expense of others. Work with trading standards to stop them.

No comments:

Post a Comment